After spending my late afternoon standing next to human pinky Alex Delgado on KSEE 24′s “We Are Fresno,” I decided enough with being a lazy, slouchy flab-arse. I decided I needed to start working out. I decided I needed to start eating right. I decided I was going to make a change in my life!
So when I got home I promptly put on my sweats, cracked a beer and started making Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes.
These potatoes are all carbs and fat (if you don’t think about the salt part) and are a perfect accompaniment to a healthy roasted chicken.
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 5 Russet potatoes, washed, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the sliced potatoes in a buttered baking dish (at least 1 quart sized). Set aside.
2) Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, in a small cup, add some water to the flour and mix into a paste.
3) Add the flour paste to the melted butter, whisking constantly. The flour will begin to thicken. Slowly whisk in the milk, and continue whisking. The flour paste will slowly thicken the milk, turning it into a white sauce. Salt and pepper this sauce to taste.
4) Once thickened, pour the white sauce over the potatoes. Top with the shredded cheese, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.