I love broccoli. I was never that kid who fought her mom about eating broccoli growing up. In fact, this week, I bought the BIG bag of broccoli from the grocery store, and hubby commented, “Wow, we had broccoli twice already this week, and you’ve still got more.” Yup. He’s so thrilled. (Where is a sarcasm font when you need it?)
Anyway, if you like broccoli, and you like cheese, then you’ll like this soup! Especially on a cold day when you want to feel warm and cozy. I chose a day that turned out to be 89 degrees out. Not my best call, but oh well — we’re talking cheese!
Super Delicious Cheese & Broccoli Soup
What you need:
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup half n half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 carrots, grated finely
- 3 cups of broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used 1 cup sharp cheddar, 1/2 cup cheddar/jack mix)
What to do:
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven. Add the onion and garlic, stirring often.
- Combine the milk, half n half and broth into one container for easy pouring. Set aside momentarily.
- After 3 minutes, add the flour, stirring constantly with a whisk until slightly golden brown.
- In one steady stream, add the liquids to the onion/garlic/flour mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add the carrots, broccoli, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the pot, stir well to combine.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over each bowl of soup and top with additional pepper if desired. Goes great with crusty french bread!