Sometimes you see something pinned on Pinterest over and over and over and you have to wonder: Is it really worth all the attention? In our series Pin-tested we take something you’ve seen a thousand times on Pinterest and put it to the test.
The household budget is a little tight this week, and I needed to make a meal plan that was wallet-friendly. I pinned this recipe for Cheesy Zucchini Rice quite a few weeks ago, but hadn’t made it yet — so, with just a few ingredients and simple preparation, I figured this recipe would work well for this week’s needs and gave it a go.
I tweaked the recipe to feed a few more (and so there’d be leftovers) so the recipe below is my tweaked version. Visit the link above for the original by Buns in My Oven.
Cheesy Zucchini Rice
What you need:
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 c. long grain rice
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 4 c. water
- 2 zucchinis, grated
- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
What to do:
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir to coat. Toast the rice in the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bouillon cubes and water to the rice, turn heat to medium-low and cover.
- Simmer rice until tender.
- Add all remaining ingredients to rice pan and stir.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
Pin-Tested Verdict? YUM. This recipe was delicious and husband-approved. Kiddo wasn’t so keen on it, but these days he wants EVERYTHING plain. It wasn’t the zucchini he balked at but the cheese — go figure.