This recipe is delicious, easy and can cook while you go about your day. Inspired by the amazing Gina from Skinny Taste’s barbacoa recipe, my crock pot version is a bit more hands off and is still every bit as Weight Watcher friendly. I recommend serving this over rice (try Gina’s Cilantro Lime Rice recipe!) with salsa, light shredded cheese and light sour cream with lettuce and Chipotle Tabasco sauce, yum!
Crockpot Chipotle-style Barbacoa Beef
What you need:
- 5 cloves of garlic
- half of a white onion, roughly chopped
- 2.5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (found in the Hispanic canned foods section)
- 1 T. oregano
- 1 T. cumin
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 c. water
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1 T. lime juice
- 1.5-2lbs beef loin or tri tip, all fat trimmed
- 3 bay leaves
What to do:
- Place all of the ingredients except for the beef and bay leaves into a food processor or blender. (I used a mini food processor) Pulse until well combined and liquified.
- Pour the mixture into the crockpot and turn it on low.
- Cut the beef into 5-6 large chunks. Place the beef and bay leaves into the crockpot, turn the beef to coat.
- Allow to cook 8 hours, shredding and stirring with two forks at the 7 hour mark. Enjoy!