Do I have your attention? Good!
It’s no secret I’ve been trying to lose weight, and as a participant in the SexyBack12 Challenge, I know I’m in good company. However, I wanted to go a step further. When a reader (thank you, awesome reader!) suggested Moxie consider hosting a weight loss competition, I couldn’t help but get excited about the idea. So, I got busy, did some ground work, and now I am super excited to share with you that in just over one week, The Full Moxie will officially kick off its first official team weight loss challenge with FABULOUS CASH AND PRIZES!!! That’s right, you heard me. CASH AND PRIZES! Oh, and weight loss and looking good — that too!
So, are you ready for the skinny? You know, the details? (Clever pun, yes?)
What’s this competition called anyway? The Muffin Top MELTDOWN. (Funny name, serious results)
Competition kick-off: Saturday, July 21, at Rosa’s Dance and Fitness Studio in Fresno.
Competition length: July 21-Sept 1, 2012
Who can compete: Women, with weight to lose, in partners. Why partners? Because working out with a buddy and having someone to keep you accountable is much better than going it alone. Why women only? Well, The Full Moxie is written by women, for women aaaaand men give up soda for two days and lose ten lbs and it’s just. not. fair.
What it costs: $15 per person
What do I get for my $15?
- You contribute to the pot for the winning team
- You receive a nutrition class and a Zumba class from Rosa’s Studio on kick-off day
- You receive admission to one class every week during the challenge at Rosa’s Studio to help you meet your goal
How do I lose the weight?
By eating healthfully and working out — the good, old-fashioned, safe way. By working with your partner to identify healthy recipes, snacks and meals and skip the french fries, and by finding creative ways to burn calories, despite the summer heat. And mostly, by being consistent and not quitting!
Did you say cash AND prizes?
Yes! Each week, a winning team will be selected to win a fabulous weekly prize, all related to health, fitness and transformation. Our fabulous sponsors are very excited to be involved and promise to motivate you with some really awesome loot! I can’t wait to share each week’s prizes with you!
Weekly prizes are not based on weight loss, but on votes for categories related to the competition. Our readers will be invited to vote for the team they think should win each week’s competition. If you want to get a leg up on week one, start thinking of an awesome team name now!
At the end of the competition, the team that loses the most weight (based on % of body weight lost, both partners combined) wins the cash pot. We will accept a maximum of 20 teams and, assuming we hit that number, the cash prize will be $400 for the winning team!
What do teams need to commit to?
- Losing weight, safely and in a healthy way, consistently for a minimum of 6 weeks.
- Providing a weekly update to The Full Moxie for posting, submitted by Thursday at 8 p.m. each week.
- Attending the kick-off event, at least long enough to do the initial weigh-in, which will be held at Rosa’s Studio (Not local? Don’t worry, you can still compete! I’ll get there, I promise.)
- Attend the closing event, Sept 1, to weigh in on the same scale at Rosa’s Studio.
- Paying the entrance fee and signing a liability waiver at the kick-off event.
What if I don’t live in the Fresno area, can I participate from afar?
Yes! There are a few small caveats.
1. You’ll need to send a short video, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, showing your starting date (7/21/12) weigh-in. This will never be posted on the site, only used to verify no one is cheating since local folks will be weighing in person.
2. Some (not all) of our sponsors’ prizes are services from local business, so the weekly prizes may not be helpful/redeemable to you, but the CASH definitely is.
3. You’ll need to be able to sign our waiver and submit the entrance fee for the competition (print/sign/scan/email/fax and PayPal or mail payment). If those three things are okay with you, we’re good to go!
So, what now?
You have until July 21st to find a partner, decide on an awesome team name and scrape together fifteen bucks. Once you’re set, mark your calendar for 8:30 a.m. [Ed. note: We originally said 10 a.m.], July 21st for our kick-off event at Rosa’s Dance and Fitness Studio (map here). If you’re planning to join us, leave a comment here on this post so we can get a head count going (also, please say whether you’re local or not). We can accept a maximum of 20 teams, so don’t procrastinate! This competition is going to be awesome! And though I can’t compete (dangit!!!) I’ll be doing it right along with you. Let’s DO THIS!
More details next week! Stay tuned!
UPDATE: We are officially at capacity for teams!
Thank you to our amazing Star Sponsor, Rosa Martinez of Rosa’s Dance and Fitness Studio, who is helping to ensure our success! Rosa, you rock!