This recipe is perfect for a special occasion or holiday because it’s just so sweet and decadent, yet easy to make in large quantities for a crowd. *Note- you need to make this the night before you want to serve it, so it can sit in the fridge.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 loaf Texas Toast (can be a little hard to track down)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
What to do:
- Melt the butter in the microwave and mix in brown sugar. (I melted the butter in a glass Pyrex 2 c. measuring cup so the sugar would fit afterwards and the mixture could easily be poured.)
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture into the bottom of a 9 by 13 glass baking dish, spread evenly.
- In a mixer (or by hand) beat together the eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Lay slices of Texas Toast in a single layer on top of the butter/sugar mixture.
- Drizzle half of the egg mixture over the bread evenly.
- Add a second layer of bread to the dish.
- Drizzle remaining egg mixture over the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve upside-down, with the sugar side up.
[recipe adapted from SheldonRachel]